New details have emerged regarding Reuben Foster’s arrest on Sunday morning, as reported by the San Jose Mercury News.
Sources have told reporter Robert Salonga that the domestic violence charge against Foster stems from his girlfriend’s claims that he physically dragged her in an attempt to remove her from the house.
From the Mercury News:
A statement from Los Gatos-Monte Sereno police says officers were dispatched around 9:15 a.m. Sunday to a home on Shannon Road for a welfare check and to respond to a possible disturbance. Foster was eventually arrested without incident.
Police did not release any additional details, but sources familiar with the investigation say the victim told officers that she and Foster were arguing and that he threw her belongings onto a front walkway and balcony. At some point, she said he physically dragged her in an apparent attempt to remove her from the home, sources said.
According to an archived police dispatch radio recording of the 911 call, “the RP (reporting party) advises there should be at least two AR-15 weapons in the house.”
Both that statement and the domestic-violence allegation would provide cause for police to search for and remove any firearms from the home. It was apparently during that search that officers found the allegedly illegal rifle.
On Sunday evening, the Los Gatos Monte Sereno Police Department released a statement detailing the three charges against Foster, which in addition to domestic violence also include threats, and possession of an assault weapon.
Foster was released on Sunday evening after posting $75,000 bail, and met with the 49ers for the first time since the incident on Monday, according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network. Following the meeting, the team is reportedly going through a “fact-finding process,” with “no quick resolution” to be expected.
It seems hard to fathom that Foster won’t at the very least be suspended for the incident, especially considering the rap sheet he’s accumulated over the past year. Foster, 23, gave a diluted drug test sample at the scouting combine last March and was then sent home after an altercation with a hospital employee. On Jan. 12 of this year, Foster was arrested in in Tuscaloosa, Ala., for second-degree marijuana possession.
According to Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee, it wouldn’t be surprising if the 49ers decide to part ways with the 31st overall pick in last year’s draft, depending on what the investigation turns up.
“Reuben Foster has other strikes on his count right now,” Barrows told Murph & Mac on Monday. “None of them are huge — a diluted sample at the scouting combine, he was sent home early after a “dispute” with a hospital technician at the combine, he had the misdemeanor marijuana arrest in Alabama last month — but those are all bad judgement issues. So, I think it’s very much in the realm of possibility that he could be gone. I think the 49ers will take it on a case-by-case basis. I don’t think there’s any sort of blanket policy. The initial reports of Tremaine Brock was that there were finger prints around the neck of Brock’s girlfriend. If they’re to that degree with Foster, I would imagine this is the last we are going to see of Reuben Foster with the 49ers.”