March 8, 2013
Here is our regular look around the NBA - links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) - done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Greg Oden's agent Mike Conley Sr. (yes, the father of the Memphis point guard) told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida that the center is still looking at four teams to sign with this summer - Miami, San Antonio, Cleveland and Charlotte. The smart money is still on Cleveland, but one should never rule out the temptations of Miami (and the sales job Pat Riley can do).
• Who are the worst contracts in the NBA? Here's a good list. And yes, Joe Johnson is on there.
• Here is a great story about Chris Wilcox and his efforts to get back from heart surgery. For athletes who got where they are pushing through barriers, it's hard to go slow.
• The Hawks signed Shelvin Mack to a 10-day contract.
• It's not just the basketball side of the NBA front offices that are using advanced stats, they are starting to use the same thing to target ticket sales. Which is if anything behind the curve of what other marketing businesses are doing.
• Lawrence Frank will not be coaching the Pistons Wednesday, he's away from the team on a personal matter.
• Greg Monroe is also out for the Pistons on Wednesday.
• Lamar Odom dozed off in the hall this week outside his child support hearing. At least he didn't do it in front of the judge.
• Speaking of courtrooms, Mark Cuban's efforts to get an insider trading case against him thrown out of court fell short.
• Taj Gibson is planning to return sometime next week.
• Doc Rivers feels for Philadelphia and what it's been like to be without their star all season.
• It's not really a surprise, but the Timberwolves plan to re-sign Nikola Pekovic this summer.
• Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says he would love to coach the Milwaukee Bucks. I imagine so. But he should have to do what Patrick Ewing and so many others have done first and spend years as an assistant coach, not just be given the gig.
• Nick Young's new haircut is…. interesting.
• The brother of Donald Fehr - the respected head of the NHL's players union - basically ruled out Fehr taking over the NBA players union for Billy Hunter.
• The Rockets let Tyler Honeycutt go to make way for Aaron Brooks on the roster.
• The Hawks have brought Mike Scott back from the D-League.
• Finally, Tyson Chandler has hooked up with a good cause - protecting elephants.