Two days before the Giants submitted their pool of players to Major League Baseball, they were reminded why this season will be so starkly different.
Hunter Bishop, their No. 4 prospect and 2019 first-round pick, is not initially included on their player pool because he tested positive for COVID-19 on Friday, Farhan Zaidi announced Monday. Bishop is the first known Giants player to contract the coronavirus, though the organization had a scare when they had to close their Scottsdale spring facility earlier this month and test about 20 individuals after two showed symptoms.
“We’ve done contact tracing,” Zaidi said of Bishop, a 22-year-old outfielder. “He was not in contact with any of our players and staff subsequent to when he believes he was infected. He had very mild symptoms, and from the reports we’re getting, he’s improving.”
Bishop was expected to be among the four top prospects the Giants ensured got reps alongside Joey Bart, Marco Luciano and Heliot Ramos. He likely still will be, but for now he’s isolating in Arizona.
Gabe Kapler checked in with Bishop on Sunday.
“He’s gonna stay [in Arizona] for now and obviously do nothing for the next 14 days,” the manager said. “He’s in good spirits and … he’s in a good space.”
As a non-roster member who wasn’t rehabbing, Bishop did not have access to the Giants’ facilities in Scottsdale, so there is no concern there.
The Giants have nine spots remaining in their pool, and as long as he can recover, there likely is a spot earmarked for Bishop. It’s possible he misses the Oracle Park segment of summer training, as the Giants are expected to open a Sacramento satellite camp later and can assign him straight there.
For now, Bishop — who consented to his condition being disclosed — will try to improve and needs to test negative twice within a 24-hour period to be eligible.