The Golden State Warriors’ season might not be over after all.
No the league hasn’t changed their mind and invited them to the 22-team tournament in Orlando that will determine the NBA champion, but rather is contemplating a second eight-team bubble, that would begin sometime in September in Chicago, according to ESPN. The bubble would include mini-training camp and subsequent games against other clubs.
The NBA is closing in on signing off on a second “bubble” in Chicago for the eight teams that were not invited to play in Orlando, enabling mini-training camps and subsequent games against other clubs with a target date of September, sources tell ESPN’s Jackie MacMullan.
— Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) July 2, 2020
Steve Kerr has said previously that the Warriors wouldn’t be interested in such a thing, but according to General Manager Bob Myers, the team has changed its tune.
“Our position is, ‘Let us know what’s possible,”‘ Myers said, via Jackie MacMullan. “Until we really know, it’s hard to say. If we can get the majority of our players to go. And if it’s beneficial, then we’ll do that. If we can’t, we’ll take what we can get. This whole thing is about balancing health and safety. From a team standpoint, what solutions check as many boxes as it can?
“One of the things is, you try not to judge. Everybody is right in a certain sense. Whether we pursue the opportunity to get our young players some work in some safe environment locally or in a second bubble, we’re in support of the pursuit. Now whether we get there or not is really a health and safety thing.”
If the Warriors do participate, it is unlikely Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green would join.