If Trey Lance keeps his job as the starter next season, the 49ers will have turned Jimmy Garoppolo’s $24-plus million contract into a $6.5 million deal. If he does end up taking over, it will be for quite a bit more.
Garoppolo has incentives in his deal that could raise the payday to $15.45 million. Here’s a full breakdown via Mike Garafolo of NFL Network:
- $500K total in per-game roster bonuses (29K per game active)
- $250K for each game he takes 25% or more of offensive snaps
- $100k for each of those games the team wins
- $500K for one playoff game he takes 50% or more of the offensive snaps
- $500K for 50% or more of the offensive snaps in the conference championship game
- $500K if he wins the conference championship
- $1 million if he takes 50% or more of the offensive snaps in the Super Bowl
Garoppolo getting his full salary would be a welcome sight for 49ers’ fans, as it would mean that they’ve at least made it to the Super Bowl.
Either way, Garoppolo is making more than Lance this season, who is due only $2.2 million on the second year of his rookie deal.